« Home | ANZAC DAY » | SUNDAY SCRIBBLINGS » | ADVICE TO WIVES » | ADVICE TO HUSBANDS » | SUNDAY SCRIBBLINGS » | HAPPY EASTER » | GOOD FRIDAY » | EASTER BAKING » | THE LAST OF THE SUMMER STRAWBERRIES » | SUNDAY SCRIBBLINGS » 

Tuesday, April 25, 2006 

LEST WE FORGET

Today is Anzac Day and we pay tribute to all those who gave their lives to serve their country. Today my family will remember our Great Uncle Michael who was killed in the Battle of Bullecourt in the french countryside. Michael had falsified his application papers to join the Army. His mother had not given her permission and he gave a false name. Within months he was shipped over seas to France as part of the AIF, 5th Battalion, 2nd Infantry Brigade, Two weeks later he died in the mud filled trenches along with 2,422 other soldiers. It was the 10th of May, 1917 and he was just 18 years old.

A relative of mine, perhaps a great uncle, was killed on hill 60. Such a waste of lives :-/

My father was a serviceman for most of my growing up years and in charge of many young men during one of our nation,s worst times, The Viet Nam War. It is a time that remains within my heart always. So many lovely young people lost. My wish for our world is that we will one day find a way to honor all such men and women by living in peace.

Looking for information and found it at this great site...
» »

Post a Comment

About me

  • I'm Cookie
  • From Australia
  • Im a Wife, Mother and Grandmother. Im passionate about my family and friends. I love cooking and entertaining and making my guests feel at home.
My profile
Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates